When Kristin asked me to guest blog while she was away, I was thrilled and didn’t hesitate to say yes. But I wasn’t sure what my list would be. We talked about a couple of ideas… namely top places I want to travel and top reasons I love Kristin.
But really, I wasn’t sure I could narrow down the first, and didn’t think I could come up with very many for the second… KIDDING. Although that post about Kristin would be summed up nicely as, “She’s amazing.” (Miss you, rooms!)
Friday, July 1, 2011 is a day that will live in infamy. It is the day I finally entered the 21st century. I ditched my LG enV Touch, the dumb-phone that wanted to pretend it was smart, for my ultimate coveted piece of technology: the iPhone 4.
2. Once you go Mac, you never go back. I am an Apple loyalist. From the time I bought my iBook back in the summer of 2005 before heading to college, I knew I would never go back to PC except when I didn’t have a choice (i.e. when working in a government office). I had the iPod and the MacBook, and now my collection is complete with the iPhone. Some people consider it snobbery, I just know what I like.
3. I don’t do well with peer pressure. I really don’t like being left out. And peer pressure is hard for me to say no to. So saying no to a smartphone for at least the past two years has been awful. And did I mention the mocking from Liana? (I can attest to this. She mocked my Blackberry until I caved for the Droid-Kristin) Because she’s pretty notorious for her mocking and peer pressuring ways. (Which is one of the reasons I adore her.) Finally though, I’m part of the “cool crowd.” (And I know this is the lamest reason EVER, but whatever. I don’t often conform to these things.)
6. FaceTime, baby. I’m not sure how often I will actually use it, but I’m pretty psyched for the FaceTime feature. This means that I am video chat with my dear friend Mary in Texas since I can’t afford to see her very often. And I can even FaceTime with my cousin in Germany, assuming she has time for me in her busy, busy life. Awesome? Yes.
7. Sewers autocorrect! When I went to type “Awwwww” the other day in a text message, it came up as sewers. And I’m kind of loving the amusement I’m getting out of autocorrect, as well as the help it is providing me. While I am living in constant fear of a horrible autocorrection, I’m also kind of hoping to end up on DamnYouAutocorrect.com one day, because let’s face it, that’s some funny stuff.
8. A little thing called productivity on the go. I like all the “cool” things too, but it is going to be nice to be able to check my email, respond to Tweets, monitor my bank account, maintain my calendar and do some networking on LinkedIn without my computer. It’ll make my freelancing lifestyle even more “free,” I think, and I’m looking forward to that. Although I do already miss my MacBook a little, because I haven’t been bonding with it as much now that most of it fits in the palm of my hand!
Those are just a few of the things that come to mind right now. I never thought I would be one to obsess about a mobile device, and certainly not one to write an entire blog post about it. But it might soon be time for me to say, “Hi, my name is Lindsay and I’m addicted to my iPhone.”
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go cuddle with a few games of Words with Friends and troll my Twitter timeline. Yeah, I’d tap that.
What is your favorite "app"? Do you still have a flip phone?