Well this movie I have seen probably a dozen times, as have probably most of you, and so I was slightly less motivated to watch it. Also because it is a looong one, and I rarely have a night now a days where I don't have something going on.
Forrest Gump is probably one of the most iconic movies of all time. Really, after watching it again, I can't think of any other movie like it. Not only does it have a great story filled with wisdom and life lessons, it is hilarious. They couldn't have picked anyone to do this role better than Tom Hanks.
It is also probably one of the most quoted movies of all time. Think about it:
- "Run Forrest Run!"
- "Life is like a box of chocolates..."
- "Stupid is as stupid does"
- "Seat's taken"
- "Fried shrimp, steamed shrimp, grilled shrimp, coconut shrimp.."
- "And that's all I have to say about that"
- "I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is"
- "Bubba Gump Shrimp"
- "My name is Forrest. Forrest Gump"
- "Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far, far, far away."
Did you know?
- Bill Murray, John Travolta and Chevy Chase turned down the role of Forrest Gump. Travolta later admitted that passing on the role was a mistake. Could you imagine Mr. Griswold as Forrest Gump?
- David Alan Grier, Ice Cube and Dave Chappelle turned down the role of Bubba. Chappelle thought the movie would bomb, and has since admitted to deeply regretting not taking the role. Chappelle? Really????
- Tom Hanks' younger brother Jim Hanks doubled for him in many of his numerous running sequences.
- Gary Sinise's character tells Tom Hanks's character that the day Forrest works on a shrimp boat is the day he'd be an astronaut. This is a reference to the book, where Forrest actually becomes an astronaut, and the following year, Sinise and Hanks appeared together as astronauts in Apollo 13 (1995).
When to See It: Need a lot of time, but it's great on a rainy night with a glass of wine
Run Time: 2 hrs 20 min
Awards: 6 Oscars including Best Picture and Best Actor.