Spices: I recommend buying the first few of these as standards, and then adding the others as needed for recipes.
Although they can be expensive, they last forever.
- Red Pepper Flakes (a favorite)
- Chili Powder
- Brown Sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Yeast (trust me)
Dairy: Somewhat long lasting items
- Long lasting cheese like feta or parmesan
Meats: Buy on sale, Keep frozen
- Chicken breasts (wrap individually)
- Ground meat (portion out into palm size patties)
- Regular or Chicken sausage (wrap individually)
- Frozen raw shrimp (not required but a great addition if you like seafood!)
- Garlic (fresh)
- Jars of pasta sauce
- Cans of chicken broth
- Assorted pasta
- Bag of rice (not the boxes, a bag)
- Tortillas (small)
- Assorted frozen vegetables
Everything else can be purchased for a specific recipe especially if it is fresh fruit and vegetables. The more you start cooking, the more long term ingredients you will amass though!