So I was a huge clutz at work on Wednesday and spilled boiling hot water on myself. Yea. Not fun. Basically the first layer of skin peeled off immediately and I almost went into shock. I was able to get myself together and get home where I dressed my wound. Without going into too many gruesome details I was convinced I had a second degree burn after having a few people look at it. Needless to say that night I tossed and turned, dreaming about skin grafts and surgery. At 5 am I realized it was time... to call my mother.
I said, "Mom, I think I want to go see the doctor tomorrow. Will you come down here?" All she said was, "I will start getting things together and be there in a few hours." In that moment I was finally able to breathe. I wasn't able to get an appointment until 3 pm so while I laid on the sofa trying to catch some sleep, my mother cleaned my apartment. I kept saying, "Mom, you don't have to do that", but she insisted. She cleaned everything, organized my room, took down Christmas decorations, bought us supplies we needed, took me to lunch, sat in the waiting room, made me dinner and made sure I was as comfortable as possible. The whole day made me realize how much I appreciate her and I don't know how to thank her for what she did other than to make a list of all the reasons why I love her:
1. She would do anything for her family: I could give you a million examples of times she has done similar acts. If my brother had called from Rochester, NY she would have done the same thing.
2. She loves to laugh: If you know anything about my family, we are a little crazy. Especially when we get together. My mom is able to put up with our antics and laugh along with us.
3. She is an amazing cook: Growing up my brother and I were blessed with some amazing meals made by my mom. Not to say we didn't sometimes have frozen fish sticks for dinner once in awhile, but she always made sure we ate a delicious meal.
4. She gives the best advice: My mom isn't someone that gives her advice without being asked. She lets us vent and figure things out. But I know that with whatever problem I have, if I ask her for her opinion, she will give it to me straight.
5. She is one of the nicest people I know: I don't think I have ever met anyone that hasn't liked my mom. I don't mean that in an arrogant way, but she is just one of those people that everyone likes and enjoys being around. Its contagious.
There are so many other reasons why I love my mom that I could list, but that would go on forever. I can even get past the fact that everyone thinks my mom is hot. I guess it is something to look forward to when I am her age right?
I love you mom, thanks for everything you do.